Fortinet's FortiGuard Global Security Research Team has discovered five vulnerabilities in Oracle Secure Backup.
Remote code execution and denial of service.
Please refer to the Oracle Critical Patch Update Advisory for affected versions of Oracle Secure Backup.
By default, Oracle Secure Backup listens and receives NDMP protocol data on TCP port 10,000. The following four vulnerabilities pertain to the handling of this received NDMP data by process "obndmp.exe".
One buffer overflow vulnerability that can lead to remote code execution was discovered through Oracle Secure Backup:
- Sending a malformed NDMP client authentication packet will cause a overflow a buffer overflow due to invalid bounds checking
Three denial of service vulnerabilities were discovered through Oracle Secure Backup by sending malformed data to various ports:
- Sending a malformed NDMP connect open packet will cause a crash
- Sending a malformed NDMP connect close packet will cause a crash
- Sending a malformed NDMP mover get state packet will cause a crash
By default, Oracle Secure Backup listens and receives private protocol data on TCP port 400. The following vulnerability pertains to the handling of this received data by process "observiced.exe".
One denial of service vulnerability was discovered through Oracle Secure Backup:
- Sending some malformed private data will cause a null pointer dereference, leading to a crash
- Users should apply available updates provided by Oracle
- The FortiGuard Global Security Research Team released the signature "Oracle.NDMP.CONNECT.CLIENT.AUTH.User.ID.Buffer.Overflow"
Fortinet customers who subscribe to Fortinet's intrusion prevention (IPS) service should be protected against this buffer overflow vulnerability. Fortinet's IPS service is one component of FortiGuard Subscription Services, which also offer comprehensive solutions such as antivirus, Web content filtering and antispam capabilities. These services enable protection against threats on both application and network layers. FortiGuard Services are continuously updated by the FortiGuard Global Security Research Team, which enables Fortinet to deliver a combination of multi-layered security intelligence and true zero-day protection from new and emerging threats. These updates are delivered to all FortiGate, FortiMail and FortiClient products. Fortinet strictly follows responsible disclosure guidelines to ensure optimum protection during a threat's lifecycle.
- Oracle Critical Patch Update Advisory: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/critical-patch-updates/cpujan2009.html
- CVE ID: CVE-2008-5441
- CVE ID: CVE-2008-5442
- CVE ID: CVE-2008-5443
- CVE ID: CVE-2008-5444
- CVE ID: CVE-2008-5445
- Xiaopeng Zhang and Zhenhua Liu of Fortinet's FortiGuard Global Security Research Team